A good business headshot is representative of your character, aptitude and professionalism.
If you don’t already have an up-to-date business headshot, it’s understandable you might feel a sense of urgency to get “something” out there you can start using right away. In the short term, that may be an acceptable compromise.
But don’t fall into the trap of allowing a less-than-fabulous headshot linger on your LinkedIn profile! If your headshot isn’t current, doesn’t look professional or if it doesn’t show you at your best, it’s time to change it.
Your website or LinkedIn page isn’t the place for an up-against-a-white-wall shot that your friend took yesterday. It may be current, but won’t look professional. Remember, this is a photo that almost everyone who comes in contact with you will probably see. That’s right…all those eyeballs are on YOU. A professional, flattering, effective headshot is well worth the small investment.
How to ensure you get an effective, professional headshot? Here are ten simple tips:
1. First, choose an experienced, reputable photographer who has a choice of backgrounds and his own lights. Portrait lighting is crucial and knowing how to use it separates the pros from the wanna-be’s. A great headshot requires an expert photographer who knows how to properly light your face. Ask to see samples of the photographer’s headshot work.
2. Find out if the session fee includes basic retouching or if this will cost extra, and make sure you’ll get the final shot in different file sizes, so it can be used for web posting or printing.
3. Drink plenty of water starting at least the day before your headshot session, as well as throughout the day of your shoot. It’s not a myth: being properly hydrated will actually help you look better in your shots!
4. Get a good night’s sleep before your headshot session. Make-up and image retouching can mask only so much; they won’t hide a tired look in your eyes.
5. If possible, schedule your headshot for a time when you can arrive a little early, and not feel rushed about leaving. Being relaxed adds an air of composure to your portrait.
6. Men should shave long enough before their portrait session to let any razor-burn dissipate and allow nicks to heal. For a late-day session, a touch-up shave at mid-day is recommended for men with heavy beards, to mitigate five-o’clock shadow.
7. Consider hiring a make-up artist for your headshot. These professionals know how to highlight your best features for the camera. You’ll be surprised what a difference this makes. Your headshot photographer should be able to recommend someone. If budget doesn’t allow a make-up artist, try to visit a department store make-up counter for a free touch-up.
8. Dress in the fashion which you feel best represents you and your business. Feel free to bring some clothing options, such as a change of shirt or tie. It’s best to avoid checks – they often make a shot look unfocused. Patterns are fine if they are not too distracting, but solid colors are recommended because they’re usually most flattering. Avoid flesh tones and colors that are too flamboyant. Medium to dark colors are best.
9. Accessories and jewelry should be limited to small non-distracting pieces. The exception is if you wear a signature accessory or piece of jewelry.
10. Take a look in the mirror right before your session starts. Even if you’ve hired a make-up artist for your shoot, check out the result yourself. Confirm your tie is straight, your scarf adjusted just so, that cowlick smoothed down. Take a moment to be sure that you look the way you want to be seen. The added confidence of that one moment will read in your photos.
Following these basic steps will give you the headshot that’s required for today’s competitive marketplace. It all starts with YOU at your best, and the synergy you’ll find with the right photographer.
Here’s the lowdown on the
CORPORATE HEADSHOT SESSIONS:
1st person: $150
each additional person up to 10: $75
Each additional person after 10: $50
I can also travel to your office. A $75 travel fee is waived if I’m shooting more than 6 people.
We do approximately 30 shots per look. Your session will be uploaded onto an online gallery for you to choose your favorite image.
Retouching is an additional fee – $10 per image. Retouching includes eye and teeth whitening, skin tone corrections/smoothing, general lighting and color enhancements, stray hairs, and sharpening.
Retouching takes 2 – 5 days to process. You can download that finished image directly from the online gallery. You will be able to download it as both a high resolution image for printing and a web sized image for your social media profiles and your website. You will have the right reproduce your own headshots wherever you want.
There is a non-refundable deposit of 50% to schedule your session.
If you’d like to schedule a session, now is the perfect time! Call today 570-592-2938.